The Upper Room is a charity which helps the socially and economically disadvantaged in society, including the homeless (and mobile/hidden homeless) and destitute migrants. Our UR4Job sessions is a key component of a wider offer to these groups, to help them improve their employability/employment chances and achieve sustainable improvement in their circumstances.
We are currently looking for volunteers who are available for 2 to 5 hours between 12 and 5pm on either or both Mondays and Tuesdays. Many of our service users are non-English speakers so we are especially hoping to hear from volunteers who can speak Romanian or Polish. Ideally we want people whose current circumstances will allow for a minimum of 6 months commitment.
Responsibilities of this role will include to:
- Organise and facilitate activities on our job floor on Mondays and/or Tuesdays, helping with building CVs, preparing for interviews, etc.
- Provide one-on-one assistance to service users, helping with administrative processes necessary to improve their employment chances, such as making appointments for NI numbers, registering for CSCS training etc.
- Signpost clients to partner organisations such as day centres, night shelters, doctors and dentists.
- Help with filling in job applications, benefit forms and similar forms.
- Provide basic IT support, such as help opening email address, sending emails etc.
- Maintain an up-to-date record of attendees, the support provided and outcomes achieved.
If you have the passion to work the service user group and the time to spare we would love to hear from you! Please send a brief statement of application and your availability to email@example.com. You may also send us your CV if you have one. For more information please call the office on 020 8740 5688.