Sobus is supporting the 2015 Stay Well This Winter campaign to help people, especially people aged over 65 or with long term conditions, prepare for winter and ward off common winter illnesses so they do not require a visit to the hospital.
There are a number of things you can do to prepare for the cold weather:
- Protect against flu by getting the flu vaccination.
- Those over 65, people with long-term health conditions, and pregnant women, can receive the jab for free from their GP or pharmacist.
- Children aged 2-4 can get the flu vaccine for free from their GP in the form of a simple nasal spray while children in years 1 and 2 will be offered the free nasal spray at school.
- It is important to keep warm in winter – both inside and outdoors, so if possible keep homes at least 18°C (65°F) warm and, at the first sign of illness, seek immediate advice and help from your pharmacist.
- Take prescribed medicines as directed and pick up any prescription medicines before Christmas Eve.
- If you do need help over the holiday period when your GP surgery or pharmacy is closed, call NHS 111 or visit www.nhs.uk.
The Stay Well This Winter campaign can help you and your family prepare for winter.
Visit www.staywellnwl.nhs.uk for more information.