After successfully applying to the Big Lottery Fund’s Celebrate programme, The PEACE (People, Ethnicity, Age, and Community Engagement) project; a cross borough partnership between Nubian Life Resource Centre and PLIAS Resettlement has been awarded £10,000 to create a PEACE Wall to be unveiled during PEACE Week in 2017.
The intergenerational project will work with communities from all cultural & faith backgrounds to create a Peace Wall consisting of Peace Quotes from residents of the two London Boroughs of Brent and Hammersmith & Fulham. The project will aim to remind, inform, educate and raise awareness of the importance of peace at an individual and community level.
The exciting initiative will consist of:
- 2 community Peace meals; residents, faith and community groups and prominent figures, will be asked to write a sentence/quote on why peace is important to them and how can it be achieved locally and maintained.
- An intergenerational Expression of Peace Competition for schools, faith groups and community organisations
- Unveiling of the PEACE Wall – a collection of all the quotes collected throughout the project
Norma Hoyte from PLIAS Resettlement & Jazz Browne from Nubian Life Resource Centre says: “By creating a Peace Wall where individual statements will be recorded, we hope that many lives will be affected by the creativity of the peace wall with the ability to learn from each other. We will also have discussion topics on how to create peace across the different communities; this will be an interactive session which will be videoed. We will create an online short tool kit which can be distributed via social media to promote and champion the need for PEACE”.
To be part of this exciting project please contact Jazz Browne on T: 020 8749 8017 or by email: email@example.com
Send your PEACE Quote (no more than 25 words) to firstname.lastname@example.org
About Big Lottery Fund
- The total amount available across the UK for the Celebrate programme is £5 million. To find out more please visit: biglotteryfund.org.uk/celebrate.
- *YouGov poll on behalf of the Big Lottery Fund with 2109 respondents, June 2016.
- The Big Lottery Fund is the largest funder of community activity in the UK. We put people in the lead to improve their lives and communities, often through small, local projects.
- We are responsible for giving out 40% of the money raised by National Lottery players for good causes. Every year we invest over £650 million and award around 12,000 grants across the UK for health, education, environment and charitable purposes.
- Since June 2004 we have awarded over £9 billion to projects that change the lives of millions of people. Since the National Lottery began in 1994, £34 billion has been raised and more than 450,000 grants awarded.